Sunday, March 12, 2017

The Non-Existent Hour


Depending upon when you read this, it is either before or after my least favorite time of the entire year. And what time is that you might ask? It's between 2:00 AM and 3:00 AM on the second Sunday in March.

And why is that my least favorite time of the year? Because it doesn't exist. The idiocy known as Daylight Saving Time makes the clocks go directly from 2:00 AM to 3:00 AM without any 2:01, 2:02, 2:03, 2:04, 2:05 and so on.


 [The Sun is happy. Fuck The Sun. Like he even needs a watch.]         
                

Well, anyway, losing an entire hour is one of the reasons I hate Daylight Saving Time. For some others, I direct you to the Boston Herald, where I'll go on and on about how truly awful it is.

If you don't like it as much as I don't like it, you'll probably like it. That doesn't make much sense, but I never promised you anything of the sort.

OK, that's my usual weak-assed plea for you to go and read the drivel for which I get paid (as opposed to this free drivel) so my work (if you can call it that) is done.

Thanks for stopping by here. If you go there, too, I don't deserve it but I appreciate it.

Soon, with more better stuff (but less better time.)


8 comments:

joeh said...

It makes no sense at all, but as I am now retired it really has minimal effect on me. Actually I stay up on clock changing days to watch the digital clock on my cable box to got from 1:59 to 3:00. I count down like on NYE, pop the cork on a champagne bottle, have a glass kiss my wife and go to sleep.

The Broad said...

I quite like the clock changes! We don't change ours in Europe until the last Sunday in March -- so for a few weeks there are 6 hours difference between us instead of 5! May I suggest you go to bed an hour earlier!!! xo

It's.a.crazy.world said...

Uh oh, I'm like The Broad.....I enjoy having that extra hour of daylight in the evening. I'm just gonna guess, but I would predict that most working (8 to 5 type jobs) like having that extra hour to walk the dog, or go for a hike, or do some gardening. Here in NM we actually had a bill proposed to keep DST all year long. What's interesting is the number of coworkers who dislike DST were in favor of it if it just meant we didn't have to deal with springing forward or falling back. Looks like we are going to remain in sync with most of the country though (except our western neighbor, Arizona...they don't participate with DST) ~ the bill didn't pass.

Suldog said...

Really, I'd be just fine with DST all year. It's the changing back and forth that bugs me. And that's the part that causes all the health problems. If we just changed it to DST and kept it, no problem.

Shammickite said...

Uhoh, I'm going to Arizona next week.... I wonder what the time will be there?????

Maggie May said...

We have our turn in a couple of weeks! We'll be losing an hours sleep this time round.
Maggie x

messymimi said...

The time is whatever we set it to be. We need to set the clocks a half hour ahead one spring (or a half hour back one fall) and leave them there permanently, thus splitting the difference. It would work, which is why it will never happen.

Craig said...

I generally see this weekend as the price to be paid for my wife's favorite day of the year - Fall Back Sunday in October (or is it in November now?). She'll put up with a lot for one extra hour of sleep, even one day a year. . .

Michigan experimented with year-round DST a couple decades ago, but decided not to make it permanent - mainly because kids were walking to school in the dark. . .

Anyway, if we could only make sure that the 'right' people were gonna die, instead of the 'wrong' ones, you know, it could be worth it (but then, you get into the old questions of who gets to decide who's 'supposed to' die. . .)

;)