Sunday, March 26, 2017

I'm Ready For My Close-Up, Mr. DeMille


Well, actually, I already had my close-up. This past Thursday, I went in to the offices of the Boston Herald and had my photo taken. From now on, it should appear whenever you read my stuff over there (like, for instance, today!)


When I was told the Herald wanted a head shot of me, I said they could use this one.
Then they told me it wasn't the sort of "head" I was back in those days. My bad.


Yes, I have a piece in the Boston Herald today. It's about luck and my sometimes lack of same.

I'm blessed, you understand. God always lands me on my feet, for some damn reason.

Maybe that's not the best way to express that. Let me re-phrase. Whenever I truly need something, God provides me with it. However, that comes under the category of God-incidence, as (Not MY Uncle, But He May Be Yours) Skip's MB phrased it.

I am always provided for, but rarely do I have the sort of luck that... well, hell, read my piece in the Herald. I can't give away the whole thing here, otherwise they won't pay me. And, as a bonus, you'll get to see the lovely photo that was the one chosen from the 80 or 90 shots the photographer took.

(True fact there. You've seen scenes in movies or on TV where a photographer shoots a fashion model and he snaps roll after roll of film - click, click, click, click, click, with accompanying flashes with each click - while the model moves around suggestively and smiles and has her hair blown in the wind and so forth? Well, picture me as the model, except I was more goofy than suggestive and I don't have enough hair left to blow around even if it was a hurricane.)

Anyway, I'm glad you're here and I'll be even gladder if you go over there. I told them that sales were likely to plummet, if they put my mug in their newspaper, but I was only joking. At least, I meant it as a joke. And if you folks would head over there, that would help to keep it that way, I hope.

Thanks, as always.

Soon, with more better stuff.

P.S. You'll have to buy a hard copy of the paper to see my mug shot. Thus far, it's not on the electronic version. They may be trying to gauge whether folks are dying of heart attacks before they disseminate it worldwide.

8 comments:

joeh said...

My wife has already decided how we are going to spend the $5000 a week. It involves a lot of travel and a bigger house. I hate travel and our house is just fine, so I'm even Steven either way.

With your mug in the paper you better brush up on your autograph writing.

Tabor said...

Congratulations!! You now will have a history.

messymimi said...

Your luck sounds a lot like mine!

The Broad said...

I always have 'enough' -- not too much, not too little. And I do believe that that is the happiest way. I feel very blessed not to have to worry about money but I will confess to wondering what it must be like to have more than I would know what to do with!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

A good friend of mine does speak of having enough or being even.
When all goes well, he claims he's "overpaid!"
I have to agree I am overpaid.
Life is good.

Craig said...

This makes me think of when we wanted to send 7M to the Catholic high school, but couldn't quite see how we'd manage to pay for it. The same week, I got a raise that was almost exactly the annual tuition bill. . .

I don't know if I'm 'even-steven' over the long haul or not; my accounting isn't quite that detailed, in general. But I remember the plusses more than the minuses, so it feels like I'm ahead, whether I actually am or not. . .

;)

Shammickite said...

I always wonder aloud what I would do with the big bucks when I win the lottery.... but first I would have to buy a ticket.
Nice going Jim, if they have taken your pic then that must mean they intend to keep you. well done.

Absolut Ruiness said...

NO, I'm glad you are here.