Thursday, December 18, 2014

A Story In The Herald, A Request Right Here


As a writer, you occasionally find that ink doesn't work. You need to plunge your pen into a vein, drawing blood, then use that to scribble your thoughts.

Such was the case with my piece in today's Boston Herald. Once I opened the wound, it flowed.

The story is not one of which I'm particularly proud - and I almost deep-sixed it before finally resolving to send it off - but I figure it might save someone heartache down the road and I don't believe keeping it to myself would have made me feel appreciably better, so...

HERE IT IS.

As always, kind comments and letters to the editor, etc.

And, on the subject of comments, etc., please pray for M/Sgt (retired) Buck Pennington, my buddy from Portales, New Mexico. He has been one of my most faithful when it comes to leaving nice comments at the Herald website, and I wish there was more of some human nature that I could do for him in his current state, but he needs the sort of help God provides. Anything you think might facilitate that... Thanks from the bottom of my heart.

Soon, with more.

17 comments:

Yogi♪♪♪ said...

Great piece of writing in the paper. I can see what you were talking about writing with blood instead of ink.

Craig said...

Brutal, Jim. Not sure I'd be so forthcoming about my own shame. . .

I admire you for this. . .

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I left my comment over there.
But I can add that there's no shame in turning your life around.

joeh said...

If I could figure out how to leave a comment with that friggin Discus (whatever that is) I would tell you that I'm sure your pops is proud of you today and is looking down and smiling.

But I can't so I guess I won't.

Jackie said...

I continue to pray for Buck. Please, keep us updated on his condition.
And, you know how proud I am of you and your writing abilities.
You are one of the most honest people I have ever met.

Shammickite said...

I read the article a couple of days ago, but didn't know what to say. I had to think it over. But I can say that you are a brave man, and a bluddy good writer, and not scared of a bit of personal honesty. Hooray to the BH for printing it.

messymimi said...

Comment posted, and prayers being said. Happy Christmas!

Suldog said...

Thank you everybody. If I receive any update concerning Buck, I will definitely give it here.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I posted a comment...thanks for sharing, and so glad you are with us now!
I hope that we soon hear that Buck is doing better. My prayers...many and often.

Hilary said...

I'm so glad you sent that column to the Herald and that they accepted it. I'll bet your father is having a proud "That's my boy" kind of moment.

Continued best thoughts for Buck.

Ruby said...

We all have things that we regret doing, be it small or huge. Its a wonderful piece to share that would also help someone else. Happy Holidays, Jim!

Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daryl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Daryl said...

i, too, an happy you submitted this and even more so happy it was published .. hope it can touch someone who needs help/needs to face themselves as you did .. xoxo