Monday, October 07, 2013

Discovered: Me!


I keep coming here and telling you what a big deal I am. I've been published, etc., etc.

You have to be getting sick of me crowing about myself. So, how do I blow my own horn again while keeping it intriguing enough to instill a desire in you to buy the publication in question? Since I am a bear of very little brain, I can think of only one way - a contest!

Here's the deal: I will pay for a subscription to Discover (the latest in my magnificent string of triumphs, wherein [or whereupon] my story about robots is featured on the cover, thank you.)





In order to get the FREE one-year subscription, you must do two things.

1) Buy a one-year subscription (only $15, which is half the regular rate because they love my friends!)

2) Mail me proof of your subscribing (only 46 cents, last I checked, and you'll be helping to keep my mailman employed! You'll be doing your bit for the federal government, too!)

I will put all of the proofs in a non-partisan hat and randomly choose one. Yay! A Winner! The rest of you will own a paid subscription to a vastly interesting and well-written compendium of the latest news concerning science, technology, health, physics, the environment, medicine, and Santa Claus.

(That last was a hint concerning the next piece of my writing scheduled to appear in the magazine. Get your subscription now and be the envy of your neighbors when you have the inside scoop on Kris Kringle!)

In other words, there will be no losers.

I'll sweeten the deal. If you don't get the FREE subscription, I'll mention you here and give your blog a link. That'll be worth at least three or four hits. Wow! I'll also say a prayer for you (which may or may not carry any weight - considering my past - and may actually pull you down a peg in the eyes of God, but I've heard rumors to the effect that He's benevolent, so it will probably go on the good side of your ledger.)

Send your entries to:

Suldog's Totally Awesome Contest
93 Winsor Avenue
Watertown, MA 02472

Entries must be postmarked by October 20th.

In the meantime, those of you unwilling to part with a few bucks may still bear witness to the glory which is me. Discover, in its infinite wisdom, has posted my piece to their website. I think this comes under the heading of "Giving away the milk before you sell the cow", but they're the professionals and I'm just a writer.

(But a damn good one, and I would point out that buying a subscription will get you my words on super slick glossy pages, while clicking onto the link below will not. Since all of my previous publications have been in newsprint, this is a BIG DEAL and you should get in on the ground floor. When I am awarded my Pulitzer in 2021, you'll be able to sell this issue on E-Bay for at least the cost of the subscription. If it doesn't fetch that much, give me a call - if I'm still alive - and I'll buy you lunch. See? You can't lose!)

My First Appearance In A Glossy! (but only if you buy the print edition)

So there you have it. Make of it what you will. I certainly have.

Soon, with more scientific stuff.

P.S. I owe special thanks to quite a few people at Discover, but I'm sure they'd appreciate not having their good names dragged through the mud via association with me. However, the person who worked most closely with me on this was Gemma Tarlach. Her editing skills, and fine suggestions, were at least as responsible for this as I was. Sorry, Gemma. That's what you get for being kind.

30 comments:

Valerie said...

I'm trying to let my pride in you (which is HUGE) overcome my envy (also of an impressive size). Congratulations, you talented, So-and-So! :)

Mariann said...

I will definitely buy two years! Back when I was buying them - they were a LOT more expensive! Thanks for showing me that. :)

Tabor said...

Ta Daa!! Great idea. I have just stopped subscribing to my dozens of magazines because I do not read them...but because your post is so good, I will give this more thought.

Michelle H. said...

Congrats on hitting the big time! Discover Magazine will last through the generations. You, Dear Sir, are immortalized.

Karen said...

Congrats!!

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I was thinking, as I read the article, that Arcbotics let you name their product.
I have to stop thinking.

Judi FitzPatrick said...

Congrats on your first glossy article. I will consider subscribing, just to support your letter carrier and mine!
Peace, Judi

Anonymous said...

c/m - Read it with the greatest of pride. So happy for you and look forward to more of the same. Haven't gotten my first copy of my Funny Times subscription yet.

IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

Just what I always wanted... wait!

I want a robot, not a magazine subscription.

IT (aka Ivan Toblog) said...

Nice article, though

The Broad said...

Clever clever you! Congratulations. I don't think Discover is sold in the UK, unfortunately, or I'd be on my way now to the newsagents!

Buck said...

Nice work, Jim.

Maggie May said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Well; done! That is truly awesome!
Maggie x

Nuts in May

messymimi said...

Congratulations again! It must be a joy (although i know it's also very nerve wracking) to make your living the way you love -- by writing.

Anonymous said...

Congrats Suldog!

Your pen has always been mightier than your sword...LOL

FFG...#5

Anonymous said...

I am so glad your writing is getting the attention it deserves! Congratulations!!!!!

silly rabbit said...

I can't wait to read it!

lime said...

woohoo!! congratulations! very cool to see your name in print for a paying gig like that.

Carolina said...

Congratulations and jubilations! How very very cool. And well deserved :-) Whayhay!

The Geezers said...

NIcely done. I will track the article down, for sure.

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I am so proud! As I've let all my other printed publications expire, I will give ponderous thought to Discover. Love that science!

Suldog said...

Electronic subscriptions are also available! :-)

Pearl said...

Holy cow, Sul! How awesome is that?!

Pearl

Anonymous said...

You mean someone else has discovered you? Don't we count? Would a subscription in my grand daughter's name count?
Sandi

Suldog said...

Any proof of a new subscription will do the trick!

Suldog said...

And I suppose I shouldn't discriminate against people who have an ongoing subscription, either. Send me proof of a subscription and you're entered in the drawing.

sandyland said...

unemployed but my heart is there

Along These Lines ... said...

Well done old chap.

Jenny Woolf said...

Well done! That's a really well known magazine. I think it is sold here although with slightly different contents, I will check it out and I hope I see your piece there too. Keep 'em coming!!!!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I have tried a few & they are really nice with links and such....but, my news is: a patient came in to the office yesterday and had a Discover mag with him...I asked if I could take a look, and then realized it wasn't the most current issue, but I told him about your article (yah, I'm shameless that way) and he's going to make a point to read it. Just my little effort to include more people into your circle, dear Jim.