Friday, October 07, 2005

So, You Think You Know Boston Sports?


You never know what you're going to get when you stop by here. Some days I tell you about my misspent youth. Other times you read a touching reminiscence. More often than not, you get bombarded with attempts at "humor" (while I demonstrate my inability to go more than three paragraphs without misusing parentheses.)

Today, you get a quiz. With prizes!

This quiz concerns Boston sports. Some of the questions are incredibly easy. Some are ridiculously obscure. Whoever answers the most questions will win a prize.

Let me amend that. Whoever answers the most questions correctly will win a prize.

All of these questions have one thing in common: if you don't know the answer, you're not as absurdly obsessed as I am. In other words, the more answers you don't know, the less chance there is that you need a mental health professional. However, if you're sane? No prize for you!

In order to win the prize, you have to submit your answers to me via e-mail. I strongly suggest that you do send me an e-mail with your guesses, even if you think you only know one or two answers. This is because the competition may not be all that fierce. I have no idea how many readers I actually have, but I suspect that the number may not even be as high as the major league record number of doubles hit by xxxxx in 1931. Which is the first question, by the way.

Do you think that question is too hard? It might have been a few years back, but not now. Today, you can find just about anything on the internet. As a matter of fact, while I knew the answer already, I wasn't positive about the year it happened. So, I Googled some things and I found it in under a minute. You can, too.

However, the rest of the answers may not be that easily found. Some of the questions concern relatively obscure numbers that only a true Boston sports fanatic might have any idea about. For instance, what is the significance of this number - 13,909?

Did you try Googling it? If you did, you sure as hell didn't find the answer I want on the first page of results. You have to have some knowledge of Boston sports history to know what that number represents. As I said, though, even if you don't know all of the answers, you should e-mail me your best guesses. You might win anyway, if you know more of them than the handful of folks who will probably take the time to write.

Oh, yeah. You're probably wondering what the prize is, right? Well, it's not a million bucks. Sorry! However, if you're a baseball fan, it is something that you'll enjoy. If it turns out that you already have it, I'll consider a different prize. That's all I'm telling you, except for the fact that I'll pay for the mailing of it to your address.

Oh, OK, it's a book. About baseball. A used book. But, if you're a baseball fan, you'll like it.

So, without further ado (because God knows there's been more than enough ado around here already) here's the quiz.

1 - Who holds the major league record for most doubles in a season? How many?

2 - 13,909. What significance does this number hold for an older Boston sports fan?

3 - .406
Explain the importance of this (Come on, now. If you don't have any clue about this number, you don't know jack about Boston.)

4 - .301
(Not quite as easy, but a hard-core Red Sox fan knows who and when.)

5 - 46 to 10. Why does this suck?

6 - Complete the following progression: 46 - 67 - 75 - ?

7 - 9 straight, and 11 out of 13. Name the team.

8 - 20, vs. Seattle. 20 What? By Whom?

9 - "This is Johnny Most, coming to you from ....." Where?

10 - What did Havlicek do?

11 - What did Pesky (supposedly) do?

12 - Fill In The Blank: Russell is to ??? as Bird is to Magic.



13 - Who is the only lifetime Patriot elected to the Pro Football Hall Of Fame?

14 - Tell me the significance of these numbers: 1, 2, 3, 6, 10, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 31, 32, 33, 35, 00. Extra credit if you can tell me why 18 is doubly important.

15 - 315
This number used to be important, but now it no longer exists. What was it?

16 - Name the athlete: #4
There is only one right answer, if you're from Boston.

17 - "25 guys, 25 cabs." What does this refer to?


18 - The Bruins were the first in their league, while the Red Sox were the last in theirs. To do what?

19 - The Teamen. The Lobsters. The Breakers. What the hell were they?

20 - Local way of telling someone you don't like them: F*** you, and ???
It's not the horse you rode in on. Who is it?

That's it. Send your answers to me, at suldog@aol.com

I'll be back on Tuesday (Hey, it's a long weekend, you know!) to give you the correct answers and to announce the winner. Good luck! See you then.

No comments: