Sunday, July 09, 2017

Fr. Vinny


Those who have been coming here for a long time know that I'm a nut for men's fast-pitch softball. I've played the game for over 35 years and I rarely miss games. In the Sunday league of which I've been a part for the past 23 seasons, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of Sundays I haven't been at the field ready to play. That includes times I've been injured and couldn't play at all. I still showed up to keep the book, coach the bases, etc., because I figure if you're a part of a team, you're still part of the team even if you're in a cast.

Today, I'm missing my games - voluntarily.

And gladly.

The man who performed our wedding ceremony, Fr. Vincent McKiernan, CSP, is in town as part of his 60th anniversary of ordination (yes, 60th.) MY WIFE and I will be attending the 10am mass at The Paulist Center in downtown Boston, where Fr. Vinny will be the celebrant. And I wouldn't miss that for anything, even softball.

I write about it (with no mention whatsoever of softball, for those who dislike reading about sports) in today's Boston Herald. Read all about it HERE.

Thanks for stopping by. I'm sure Fr. Vinny would be appreciative if you offer up a prayer or two as an anniversary gift for him!



Soon, with more better stuff.

11 comments:

Shammickite said...

What a super tribute to a gentleman who has had a profound influence over not only you and your lovely wife, but many others across the land. Great article in the paper. Well written.

Anonymous said...

A true blessing in your and your wife's life together. Truly a "feel-good" story. Linda in Tn.

Craig said...

Blessings on Fr. Vinnie. It's always a good thing, to remember in gratitude those who've impacted our lives (and for your sake, I'll overlook the, uh, Ohio State thing; altho Lord knows, they need it. . .)

;)

messymimi said...

There are so many marvelous priests and ministers, i wish they made headlines more often. Is there any way to get a copy of more of his Vinamins?

Suldog said...

Sham - Thank you! Easy to write when Vinny is the subject!

Linda - Thanks very much for the kind words!

Craig - I know; it couldn't have been easy for you, as an MSU man, to see OSU so prominently mentioned, but I know you're a good Christian gentleman - like Vinny - and I appreciate the turning of the other cheek.

Suldog said...

Mimi - I should have had that information here, but I'll ask Vinny.

Jimmy said...

An excellent reason to miss I'd say.

Suldog said...

Jimmy - The best.

Jackie said...

Were you able to speak with him after the service?
I'm thankful for his years of service to the Lord.
Continued blessings on him....

Suldog said...

Mimi (and, of course, anyone else interested) - I just spoke to Fr. Vinny McKiernan and he informs me that his "Vinamins" are available for $12 (that includes shipping) by writing to him at...

The Saint Thomas More Newman Center
Ohio State University
64 W. Lane Ave.
Columbus, OH 43201

Please put "Attn: Fr. Vinny McKiernan" on the envelope.

Vinny says he won't actually be back in Ohio until August, though, so patience will be a virtue!

It's.a.crazy.world said...

What a wonderful tribute! Love it.....