Monday, November 03, 2014

Jim Sullivan, Writer


A few weeks back, I had a story published in the Boston Herald concerning the closure of Suffolk Downs, the East Boston racetrack that was a fixture of the sporting scene around these parts.




Here's a link to the newspaper article (although I believe the piece has been archived, so you may not be able to see the whole thing. If you missed it, and want to read it, drop me a line and I'll e-mail you a copy.)

A television reporter in Australia, Lisa Millar of ABC (the Australian Broadcasting Corporation), contacted me. She liked the story and wanted to include me in a feature she was doing on the downturn in the fortunes of thoroughbred racing in America. I was to meet her at Suffolk on closing day. I did meet her and they filmed me answering a couple of questions. The piece has finally run on Australian TV. I thought you might like to see it, so here it is.

(I show up at around the one-minute mark. They edited me well; I come off as mostly sane. I think my favorite part is the identifier given under my face. It says, "Jim Sullivan, Writer", which more-or-less gives credence to the fact that I am one of those. That was a thrill - and certainly preferable to "Jim Sullivan, Lifelong Lunatic Gambler".)

Hmmmmm... It seems I don't rightly know how to embed their video here. It may not be possible, actually. I suppose there are all sorts of copyright laws involved. Anyway, here's a link to it. Go there and see my face combined with lovely Australian voice-overs!

Jim at the races via Australian TV!

Soon, with less bettor stuff.

17 comments:

OldAFSarge said...

You seem absolutely normal.

Why would anyone believe that you are from New England?

All kidding aside, nicely done.

Buck said...

HEY! You're a STAR, you writer, you! Can I have yer autograph?

Tabor said...

What a warm feeling to be given the credit you deserve!!

Karen said...

That was great! You're getting around :)

Jackie said...

Sad about the closing of the track, my friend. Thank you for the link to the report from across the ocean. It was well done...and I'm proud of you....as always.
Hugs,
Jackie

messymimi said...

You did a great job highlighting the lament of so many of us on so many things -- it's been around forever, but it won't be around any more.

Craig said...

Wow, Jim - you're an actual talking head!

Things don't stay the same. But when you think about how long horse-racing has been around as an institution (is that the right word for it?), it's sad that its demise is happening on our watch.

You know, now that you mention it, there are several horse tracks (both trotters and thoroughbreds) sitting empty around southern Michigan; I drive past one on my way to and from work every day. . .

Ruby said...

Great interview!!! Jim Sullivan, writer!! :)

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

You came across really well and I think I'd probably describe you as a writer, too... after I said you're a friend.

The issue with horse racing is it is described as the sport of kings.
There aren't all that many kings left, unless you start counting sports teams.

Cleary Squared said...

Nice job, Suldog. I played there many a time, didn't win much, but had fun nonetheless.

Jimmy said...

Nice Jim, Good thing they added the caption Writer or else no one would have known.

Seriously this was pretty cool

Hilary said...

Now that was fun to see. Thank you. :)

Michelle H. said...

Awesome! First, Australian news, next BBC and then you'll jump across the pond and be a talking head on the Wall Street Journal giving stock tips.

Shammickite said...

I watched the video twice, and each time I felt really sad... thoroughbred horse racing has been a tradition for such a long time, and to see it in decline is sad indeed. However, I watched your bit 4 times! Yes FOUR TIMES! Your 15 seconds of fame. And to think that I count you amongst my (cyber)friends.... WOW!

Unknown said...

That was great Jim! You're officially a multimedia personality!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

How exciting to see you almost in person! I admit I was surprised at how soft-spoken you seem. I don't think your written word could ever be described as soft-spoken! I loved seeing the track, too, after hearing your stories about it. I didn't know the Beatles played there!