Monday, May 18, 2009

Sad Day In Sports For Suldogs



As I write this, it is Saturday afternoon. Tomorrow morning, I get to find out if the Bombers – my team for the past 15 years – will get an early leg up on the rest of the league. We sit at 2 and 0, and so do our opponents for the day, the Titans. If one of these teams sweeps the scheduled doubleheader, it should go a long way towards deciding who sits in the winner’s circle at season’s end.

(Speaking of the winner’s circle, you heard it here first: Mine That Bird will win The Belmont. Rachel Alexandra is a fine filly, and a deserving winner of The Preakness, but if Mine That Bird doesn’t have to go wide, she gets caught. And, with the extra ¼ mile in New York, she’ll get beaten by three lengths.

Of course, I predicted that Harold & Kumar Go To White Castle would win the Oscar for best picture, so don’t bet the mortgage money.)

For the 15 seasons previous to this one, the Titans have won the league title 11 or 12 times. My squad, the Bombers, have never won it.

Our overall record, versus the Titans, is 3 wins, 32 losses, and 2 ties.

(Yes, ties. League rules and city regulations being what they are, the second game of a doubleheader is sometimes unable to run into extra innings. Other leagues have permits for the field and we have to vacate at the end of regulation. That sucks. There should never be a tie in baseball or softball.)

The Titans are, by far, the team to beat if your team has any notion concerning a championship run. And, looking at it honestly, we’ve been outmanned most other years. I have rarely had reason to question the heart of my Bomber’s teammates, but we’ve also rarely had the talent to go along with that heart. This year, I think we might.

I’ll see whether that‘s true tomorrow morning - if it doesn’t rain.

Right now, the weather forecast calls for heavy rain overnight. If it stops before game time, we should get them in. If not, our series against the Titans will wait until the tail end of the season to be made up.

Signing off now. Back with the rest of the story after it happens.

***************************************************************

So, from the title of this post, you probably know the outcomes.

Titans - 16 BOMBERS - 7
Titans - 10 BOMBERS - 4


And not only that, the Celtics lost to Orlando in game seven. I'm a sad Suldog, indeed.

The games versus the Titans were closer than the scores would indicate. Game one was 8 - 7 going into the final inning. In game two, our first three batters singled, but the leadoff man was thrown out at the plate and a double play ended the inning without a run being scored. That set the pace for the remainder of the game. We had chances, both offensively and defensively, to do much better. We didn't, though.

The good thing - if there is a good thing about dropping two games - is that I know we can play with that team this year. We really aren't that far off. If we meet them again in the playoffs, I like our chances. We'll have gelled more as a unit by then, tightened up whatever shaky spots we had defensively, and be ready for them.

BOMBERS STATS

As for the Celtics, they went as far as could be expected with the personnel available. With Garnett and Powe out for the playoffs, they gutted it into game seven. I'm sad that they lost, but not disappointed in the overall effort. They showed heart all year. And they'll come back strong and healthy next year.

So, that's all for today. I'm not a cheerful and happy Suldog, but I know better times are ahead. As I usually say...

Soon, with more better stuff.


24 comments:

Jeni said...

Yes, that may be a bit sad about the Bombers however, the good news for today is that Suldog got POST OF THE DAY over at Authorblog's place!!!

Congrats on a job very well done and much deserved!
Peace.

Buck said...

It's been a rough post-season for Boston, all things considered. But, Hey!! Look forward to Fall!

Michelle H. said...

So sorry your team lost both games. Cheer up! I'm sure clearer skies are ahead for your softball season.

Sandi McBride said...

Well, that's the way the ball bounces and the geegees run! Sorry about your loss...but as for Miss Rachel Alexandra I've got my money on her...hope it's not a total loss...
Sandi

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, I'm sorry...so sorry...what a heartbreaker...~Janine

Chris said...

Hey, your Bombers hung in there, nothing to worry too much about. YOU CAN BEAT THOSE GUYS! Sorry, that was the coach in me coming out.

I'm not a huge NBA fan, but I'd kinda like to see LeBron get a title. Seems like a good enough guy.

How's the choppers?

Nana Net said...

Suldog, sorry for the losses. But hey there is still hope for next year! OF course your Celtics played a mighty fine game.
Hang in there and know that the rain will surely clear out. That we have had it for 11 days straight now. UGH!!!! But at least today the sun is trying to peep in and out. Take care my dear friend and keep your chin up!

MVD said...

Hey Suldog - Has the squad discussed anabolic steroids or pine tar for the next game with the Titans? If done covertly, the sad Suldog could become a happy humper.

Ananda girl said...

I finally got to sit down and enjoy a Celtic's game. Sigh. But you know, one thing I really liked is what gentlemen they were when it was over. They looked very sincere when shaking hands, not spoiled or angry. Takes a good man.

Oh, poor Bombers... but you'll come back! Keep kicking at it. Good days are ahead.

Sniffles and Smiles said...

Oh, you and your wife sound like me and my other half!!! Love it! What a fearsome foursome we'd be...and yes, I am certain that I am done for if I lose my other half...LOL! Have a great day! You've made mine, my friend!!! ~Janine

Thumbelina said...

Sorry your team didn't make it through. It sucks when they have worked so hard - but I guess the winners work just as hard.
Take it easy. Tomorrow is another day.

Theresa said...

Sorry about the two losses. But it was fun, right? I hope so. Besides, we need you to find something to be happy about so you can show off that great smile of yours!

Hilary said...

I'm sorry that you're sad, Suldog. I'm sure there will soon be better stuff ahead.

GreenJello said...

I hope you get the chance to face off with them again in the playoffs! I always root for the underdog. (Or the Suldog, as the case may be...)

Saz said...

oh gee...this flew right over my head, sorry! But then shit happens!

Larry was all sad yesterday as Celtic drew with Hibs, which means its' down to the wire' APPARENTLY!! SO that's why the long face..duh!! Its enough to make a girl want to be at work on Sunday!

lime said...

sorry to hear it. things didn't go well for the the baseball boy in our house either. sad weekend for sports all over. better luck in the next game.

A Woman Of No Importance said...

Who mentioned sports??! You lost me totally for a moment there...

Where's sweet Suldog, and what have you done with his body?!

Daniel said...

If it's any concelation as far as the Celtics are concerened, I thought they were going to pull it out given their experience.
After all, they went through a couple of seven game series last year.

SweetPeaSurry said...

Okay ... yeah ... I read through that whole post and was completely lost. You see ... if it's not skateboarding, surfing, or snowboarding I'm just outta the sports loop. Which is strange, as my older brother is an actual Sportscaster for one of the national affiliates. YAY. I'm sports dumb. I hope your team comes out on top though!!!

blessings!

Jazz said...

The Bombers? How clueless am I that I have no idea what sport they play?

Chris Stone said...

sorry to hear the bombers lost! i wish the margin of loss wasn't so great in the celtics game.... but loosing the 7th wasn't so bad. i think cleveland would have been a very tough opponent!

i beati said...

and how did the Celtics lose is my question ??Booooo hooooo

Unknown said...

Well I had heard about the Celtics losing since they generally make the news and actually thought of you hoping you weren't too disappointed.

Since the Bombers really do not make the news this is the first knowledge of that additional blow. Now just keep in mind you said who might end up in the winner's circle. The Titans can't win all the time! Keep ya head up!

Expat From Hell said...

Suldog: Great to have you back. Sorry about your Celtics. Our Mavericks went down only a few days before you. Losing is hard stuff. Both on the field and in front of the TV. Buck up - at least you have the right teeth for the job now!

Best to you,

ExpatFromHell