Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Thanksgiving Comes First - The First Round-Up



Last week, I posted my annual Thanksgiving Comes First screed. As always, I asked folks to join in on their own blogs. I also promised to link to those who did me that favor. Despite what would seem a mountain of evidence to the contrary, I am a man of my word. So, in just a minute, I'll list all of the lovely people who have done postings.

But, first...

I need to address something brought up by a few folks who commented on the original piece. Yes, by posting about Thanksgiving in October, I would apparently be stepping on my own "rule" concerning letting one holiday play out before speaking of another. I may seem to be giving the short end of it to both Halloween and Veterans Day. I assure you, though, I have no desire to see either of those celebrations get less respect than they deserve. As a matter of fact, by asking that Christmas be held in abeyance until after Thanksgiving, I am in fact trying to get more respect for those days, too. Thanksgiving isn't the only day being trampled. Anyway, the main problem is that if we wait to protest until after Veterans Day, it's already a bit too late to have a chance at making a difference. Unfortunately, we need to speak up about Christmas BEFORE stuff hits the shelves, and that necessitates getting the first plea out in October, at the latest. Believe me, I'd rather it could wait...

OK, here goes:



Uncle Skip (who is not my uncle, but he is somebody's) was first to the dance, so he gets top spot!

Messy Mimi (who isn't messy at all, so far as I can tell) contributes a real nice heartfelt piece.

Ivan Toblog (who says that I'm his hero) posts the world's largest TCF logo (and thus he becomes MY hero.)

Joanna at The Fifty Factor gives a very personal reason for why Thanksgiving is special and why we should not want Christmas pushed on us so early.

Kat at Seeking Sanity makes an impassioned plea for some time to truly be thankful, and I thank her!

Tara Dharma makes a good point concerning the length of the Christmas season as compared to the U.S. political season!

Matt Conlon writes straight from the heart and I enjoyed it, a lot (as I usually do his stuff.) His piece may be found HERE.

Ack! Before I forget, Jeni, at Down River Drivel, has had the logo on her sidebar forever. I appreciate that.

(I'm sure, being the clod I am, I'm forgetting some others who have had the logo up since last year. My apologies if I've missed you. Please drop me a line and I'll make good in the next round-up.)

The nicest retired USAF sergeant in New Mexico retains his title (and possibly challenges for the world championship) by posting his annual Tilting At Windmills Post.

Heidi Olivia Tan is my new friend from Malaysia (yes, Malaysia!) and she has joined in with a wonderful post. Malaysia! See what can happen with the power of the internet? We've more-or-less circled the globe, so now we just need to ask the folks in-between to fill in the spaces!

And, just under the deadline for this post, Hilary, the magnificent photographer from The Smitten Image, has deemed my words worthy of mention in her weekly Posts Of The Week. That is high praise, indeed, as she always chooses some excellent writers to showcase. Visit her often - you will never be disappointed.

And that wraps it up for now. Please visit these magnificent folks and leave encouraging words. Lord knows, if they're jumping on-board anything I'm piloting, they need whatever help you can give them.

Next week, I'll have another round-up. If I somehow missed your post from this week, please drop me a line at suldog@aol.com

Soon, with more better stuff.

P.S. Seriously, please consider doing a post and asking others to do one, too. It's only through many repetitions across the blogosphere that this has any chance at making an impact. Thanks!



18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanksgiving has come and gone here in Canada (2nd Monday in October), but Christmas crap has been out in various stores since August...

By the time that stupid holiday rolls around I'm heartily sick of it.

Heidi Olivia Tan said...

Glad to bookend you from the other end of the globe. Now all we need, would be some posts from Mumbai, Cape Town, Frankfurt, or shall we go the other direction? Manila, Hong Kong, Tokyo?

Michelle H. said...

Wonderful people who have all jumped up on the bandwagon. I promise to get my post up in a few days.

Daryl said...

Mine is going to be part of my Friday blathering/photo recappage of my visit to Cincinnati a town that reminds me in many ways of Boston ...

messymimi said...

Actually, i'm a messy trying to learn to be a cleanie. Not making much progress on the kitchen floors, with the kittens running around, but the rest of the place is getting better.

Thanks for not giving up on this.

3GKnight said...

I haven't done this yet! (or ever, for that matter) Shame on me! It'll be there this year.

silly rabbit said...

I have been a slacker! I'll get my post up soon. Promise!

Kat said...

Yay for all the posts! I'll be sure to get around to them all. :)

Suldog said...

SR - In case you're wondering, I took care of it.

Anonymous said...

Mine is still in my head :) But you brought up a point I plan to stress - that by holding off on it, we give each of those other special days the attention they deserve. (And you deserve the POTW!)

Jackie said...

Jim...I'm not the sharpest technological crayon in the box, but I did my best by adding the graphic that I copied from your blog; it is below the comment section on my blog. I linked it back to your post "Thanksgiving Comes First."
I added my own caption....and I hope that it helps. I'm sick of the commercialization of Christmas.
Seeing Christmas trees and gift items in stores in OCTOBER reminded me that I wanted to do this with you and others this year. Thank you for keeping on keeping on.
Warm hugs to you my Brother,
Jackie

CiCi said...

I agree with the thought and feel strongly about it so I will make time to write a post and join your group.

silly rabbit said...

Ok...post is up.

3GKnight said...

Mine's up too!

Jenn Flynn-Shon said...

I am one who believes that all holidays have their specific time and place but still love that you do this every year. Did you hear about Nordstrom this year?

http://consumerist.com/2011/10/has-nordstrom-finally-succumbed-to-the-christmas-creep.html

Thought of you as soon as I read it! Probably won't participate this but I TOTALLY applaud the spirit of everyone who does!

Clare Dunn said...

OK...I said I would wait until after Hallowe'en, but, mine's up, too!

xoxoxo, cd

Three Hundred Sixty Five said...

I'm a week late, but I hope I did you proud. I was in the grocery store a coupla weeks ago, and there were a buch of guys setting up a table (you know, the ones that are always creating shopping cart traffic jams, head on collisions and such?) and (gasp!) it's Christmas crap! I did manage to shoot a comment to the store manager, but he pretended not to hear me.....

Eternal Lizdom said...

Here's my addition! http://eternallizdom.blogspot.com/2011/11/what-november-is-all-about.html