Thursday, January 29, 2015

Snow Angel



As with the Blizzard of '78, everyone likely has some tale concerning the Blizzard of '15. This is mine.

You've heard of snow angels. Those are impressions made in the snow – usually by a youngster – via falling backward into the snow while waving arms and legs. When the person gets up, it looks like an angel was there. Well, my wife made one during the blizzard and...

I need to go back a few minutes. It was afternoon and we were dreading having to shovel. However, our duplex neighbor made the suggestion that we pitch in and hire someone to do the work. That idea received a resounding “yes” from my wife and me, so a call was made and we awaited the arrival of a small crew of shovelers, plowers, etc

I had to make sure our car was cleaned of snow so I could drive it into the street while they cleared our long driveway. My wife volunteered to help. After we had done that job, she playfully fell backward and made a snow angel.

And now, having set the scene, we can get to the real story here. I was run over by a snowplow.

The crew arrived and was clearing things, but the snowplow clearing the driveway got stuck. I volunteered to help push it. The driver is trying to back out, so I start pushing from the front of the truck. This is all well and good except I'M BETWEEN THE FRONT OF THE TRUCK AND THE PLOW.

(You've heard the old proverb about God taking care of drunkards and fools? Well, I wasn't drunk, so you can draw your own conclusions concerning my IQ.)

I push and the truck starts to move. I slip, though, and the plow blade runs over the entire length of my leg before I can roll out of the way. Miracle of miracles, it was at just the right height and angle to touch my full leg – I could feel it travel from my ankle to my upper thigh - but not actually dig in or damage it in any way. By the time I realized what was happening, it was over. All I could do was stand up, smile, and reassure the very scared driver that I was OK.

After the adrenaline stopped flowing and I had a few minutes to think about it, I realized just how blessed I had been.

First, if I had NOT fallen, I likely would have stood up straight as the truck continued backing, having the thought that I did my job, and that's when the plow would have whacked me full throttle in the lower back. That I slipped was actually good luck, not bad luck.

Second, it may have occurred to you to question why I felt a need to mention my wife making a snow angel. When I slipped, I fell into the exact spot where she had made it. Had that impression not been made by her, my prone body would have been a few inches higher and the plow would probably have grabbed my leg and mangled it.

You can call it coincidence, or luck, or whatever you wish, but I know the truth. Not only do I have a guardian angel, but it appears I'm also married to one. If your story tops that, more power to you.

Soon, with more better stuff.
 

20 comments:

Merisi in Vienna said...

Saved by a snow angel.
Saved by a snow angel!
Can't even begin to think of all that could have gone wrong. *shudder*

Please do not go near snowplows again, never ever, not even in summer.

Merisi said...

Dear Jim,
thank you for the honor of including me in the Wonderful Worldwide Blog Buddies list. That made my day!
Hugs,
M.

Shammickite said...

Standing between the front of the truck and the snowplow blade? Are you completely mad? DUH!

OldAFSarge said...

I was breathlessly awaiting the "rest of the story" since seeing this on FB.

I'm thinking the luck of the Irish had something to do with it as well.

Too bad no one had their cell phone out and recording. That would've gone viral, making you even more famous than you already are. I mean you are famous.

Right?

Oh yeah, I am glad that you were not mangled or hurt in anyway.

Hilary said...

I think you're exactly right about YOUR GUARDIAN ANGEL. And I'm so glad you were not hurt. Top blizzard story for sure.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

First -
What is the IQ of a fool?

Second -
The tune to Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer is now my earworm, but with the words changed to Suldog Got Run Over by a Snowplow.

Really, I'm glad you're okay and that the Angels are looking out for you.

Craig said...

That is a GREAT story, Jim. So many levels of angelic meaning. And I'm sure your actual guardian angel (the non-material kind) was earning his wings that day.

But, uh. . . I have to go with Shammickite here - standing between the truck and the plow blade? ARE YOU NUTS?!?

Ahem. . . That said, I've known some pretty high-IQ fools in the course of my young life. . .

A Cuban In London said...

Nice story. Life is full of surprises, especially when you are married to the surprise! :-)

Greetings from London.

joeh said...

Damn Jim, you'll do anything for a good story!

You pushed between the truck and the blade. You could not see that coming? Did you not watch the "Three Stooges" back in the day?

It never fails to amaze me how smart sober people can sometimes be so stupid. I mean it's not like your are 16 or something.

And who hires a snow plow that gets stuck?

Glad you are ok my friend and that you do indeed have an angel in your wife.

I hope you can sell this story. It is a good one well told.

The Broad said...

That story definitely had me holding my breath! I suspect your guardian angel IS your wife! Lucky you. xo

Daryl said...

seriously … go buy a lottery ticket

It's.a.crazy.world said...

I'm with Daryl! I am so glad to hear you are OK, I would have been shaking like a leaf. I used to come downstairs with all kinds of stuff in my arms until the day I tripped, took a huge step (had a glass & other crap in my arms) and luckily landed on my foot and didn't crack my head open on the hard tile in the entry. Needless to say, I now throw the dirty clothes and stuff down first & pick it up when I've safely navigated the stairway. Isn't it amazing the stuff we do without thinking about it? Kind of amazing humans have made it this far......

juvat said...

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I'd rather be lucky than good.

Glad you're ok. And, Yeah, I'd say your angel, guardian or snow, was looking out for you.

JudisJems said...

So happy you are OK. And to further acknowledge there are angels everywhere on earth - you are lucky enough to be married to one!

messymimi said...

No, there is no topping this one, and i'm so glad you came through it unscathed!

Shammickite said...

I saw the Boston Yeti on the telly a couple of days ago..... was that you Jim?

Anonymous said...

I didn't know about the snow angel! Yes, she's definitely a guardian angel. I love how it all worked out, and that you see the miracles that protected you from injury.

Out on the prairie said...

A very close call, glad to hear you had someone watching.

stephen Hayes said...

Quite an inspirational story. I agree with those who say someone was watching over you that day.

TexWisGirl said...

saved my a snow angel trip. love it! congrats on your POTW!