Friday, August 22, 2014

Thoughts Upon The Passing Of Don Pardo


Don Pardo passed away this past week at age 96.




The Boston Herald has seen fit to publish a few of my thoughts concerning his death (as well as some general rambling concerning how what we hear on-air reflects society as a whole.) Please go to their website (or, if you like the heft and feel of actual paper, buy a copy from your local newsstand!) As always, kind comments will keep you in my prayers while unkind comments will also keep you in my prayers (because I'm a Christian, but the prayers won't be quite so fervent.)

Soon, with more better stuff.

7 comments:

Sandy Kessler said...

i surely will remember and treasure that voice

Anonymous said...

That great voice on SNL will be forever in my memory.

Jackie said...

He had a great voice.
My favorite voice makes me want to rush out and buy a Dodge Ram truck.
The voice has a name: Sam Elliot. Sigh. Love his voice!
PS. Great article, and I think you should apply for the SNL VoiceOver.
Truly....
I will repeat this comment over at the Boston Herald.
Hugs,
J.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

R.I.P. Don Pardo

Craig said...

Good one, Jim.

Sheesh, I remember Don Pardo from the old Art Fleming 'Jeopardy!' days. . .

You make some good points, my friend. I've always been proud of my own baritone singing voice (even wishing it were a few tones lower, toward basso profundo, but whatchagonnado?) I've always enjoyed singing harmony in group settings, but the bass line has been getting notably lonelier over the past few years. . .

Shammickite said...

Don Pardo is not a name I recognise immediately, but when told he was the voice of SNL, I can hear him in my head. I read your BH article and I found it very interesting.... you are so right, the voices we hear on radio and the telly are changing. I really noticed this on my recent trips home to UK, all the announcers and news anchors, and even gane show hosts etc all have regional accents, gone are the Queen's English BBC tones of my childhood. Fascinating!

Hilary said...

I sort of imagine your televised voice-overs would be like those of Letterman's Alan Kalter. ;)