Saturday, October 12, 2013

A Couple Of Bets


Via my previous post, I was able to secure two bets from Tigers' fans.

The first one to take up the gauntlet was Sandi McBride. Sandi is a self-confessed crazy cat lady. As a matter of fact, that's the title of her book.



Other than that, she's normal (so far as I know.) Being a crazy cat lady, however, it should have been no surprise for me to find out she roots for the Tigers.

(Following along the rails of that crazy train of logic, in order for her to be a Red Sox fan she would have to be the crazy hosiery lady.)

The bet with Sandi is as follows: Loser will write an essay extolling the virtues of the winning team. Said essay will be published on the loser's blog, along with the logo of the winning team, and will remain there for a minimum of 24 hours.

The other bet involves an actual expenditure of money.

Craig, of Running In The Yard Next Door, is a die-hard fan of the Tigers. Off the top of his head, he can name you the starting line-up of the 1968 team.


[The top of Craig's head, which appears to be missing the 1968 team.]


Hell, I think he could name the entire roster, including the coaching staff and late-season minor league call-ups. In that regard, we are quite sympatico. I can name every member of the 1967 Red Sox and maybe give you the names of a few of their wives and kids.

(Meanwhile, MY WIFE will read this and once again embarrass me by asking me to name all of my cousins. I will scowl and leave the room, ashamed. What can I say? My cousins were not on the radio and TV some 170 times in 1967 having their exploits described in breathless manner by Ken Coleman and Ned Martin.)

The bet? If the Tigers win, I am to send a quart of New England Clam Chowder to Craig. If the Sox win, he will send me a quart of Michigan Navy Bean Soup. One of us will be eating well.

The series, best of seven, begins tonight. Go Sox!

Soon, with more bettor stuff.

P.S. Most of you know I am in no position to make bald jokes. Craig has more hair than I do. It was a pretty good line, though, wasn't it?

18 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I didn't know Michigan had a Navy.

Craig said...

Hmmmmm. . . I don't know if I could give you the entire, 25-man roster of the '68 team; But I could probably give you at least 20 of 'em (just, you know, off the top of my head). Great bit of trivia - who were the two guys who were on both the '68 and '84 Tiger teams? Both Dick Tracewski and the recently-passed Gates Brown were players in '68 and coaches on the '84 team. Which is, you know, kinda cool. . .

I do know that Al Kaline's wife is Louise (they used to put the players' wives and kids in the bios in the annual Tiger yearbook); their son Mark lived in the same dorm with me in college one year. . .

And I do love me some clam chowder. . .

;)

Craig said...

We don't; they just send us their beans. . .

(insert your favorite fart joke here)

But we do have more miles of shoreline than any state except Alaska. Does that count?

Buck said...

As for you and Craig and naming names on old teams... BOTH you guys have better memories than I do. I blame Bush.

Sandi McBride said...

Almost looking forward to losing, lol...thanks for plug by the way, you're a pal!
Sandi (Alias Crazy Cat Lady)

Craig said...

I blame a congenitally weird mind. Which, I suppose, my mother could take personally, if she so chose, but it's not meant that way. . .

messymimi said...

Ah, so if i were so silly as to bet against you, i could just send you a pot of gumbo? Good luck to you, i still don't think i should ever bet against you. And someday, if i get to your city, i will cook gumbo for you anyway.

Suldog said...

You'll cook gumbo for me anyway? You're all right! Hope you get here very soon :-)

Suldog said...

Hell of a game.

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

So far I am enjoying the NLCS, particularly the wins by St Louis.

Craig said...

@Suldog - Kind of a bizarre game, I thought, but utterly dramatic. 8-1/3 of a no-hitter, 17 strikeouts (including the standard trivia bit with four in one inning), but 6 walks, and every Red Sox batter representing the tying/go-ahead run. Lester and the Sox pitchers weren't as dominating (if that's what you call it) as the Tigers' pitchers, but utterly clutch, getting the outs they needed, except for Peralta's single. When the Sox finally got their hit in the 9th, I was in terror that the second one was going over the Monster. . .

Hilary said...

It was a pretty good line, though, wasn't it?

Yes, it was a great line... a hair line, to be exact.

A fun couple of bets.

Michelle H. said...

I'm not a bean soup or clam chowder girl, so I'm not sure who should win the bet. If lobster and shrimp where involved, I might have been interested. But at least it is a fair bet when it comes to soup. If you placed a bet for cars and tea, I'd be wary. (bad joke).

Chris said...

Is it still baseball season?

Absolut Ruiness said...

It definitely was a hairy one, because it tickled me.

CiCi said...

Wasn't your cousin the Cat Lady too?

I can't name all my cousins either. Don't feel bad.

Suldog said...

Yes, my cousin Dorothy was also a cat lady - specifically, "The Mad Cat Lady of Franklin". Good memory!

JudisJems said...

Good luck with your bets, may you have much to read and eat in the near future.

Peace, Judi