Friday, November 05, 2010

THANKSGIVING COMES FIRST - More Thanks To YOU!





[The Original Post, for those who may be unaware of what this is following up on.]

I am extremely blessed. Every year, when I write about Thanksgiving, many of you join in and write posts of your own concerning the holiday. And, since I make it a point to read all of your postings, I become privy to some of the best writing on the subject. Every person has their unique take on it. Sometimes, I learn something I never knew before. Other times, I am thrilled anew, by my own Thanksgivings past, as your wonderful reminiscences trigger an unearthing of my long-buried memories.

This year has been no exception. The overall quality of the writing has been superb, and I thank you for pouring so much of your hearts into each posting.

I'm now going to list some links to the latest Thanksgiving Comes First posts, and I hope you'll take the time to visit these people who share your views concerning this holiday I love. Please read what they have to say, and please continue, in your own way, to encourage others to post. Again, I thank you.

Cindy, at Monkey Boy Adventures, chimes in concerning her trip to Target, wherein she encountered Christmas decorations prior to Halloween. Boo, Target!

Jeni, proprietor of Down River Drivel, gives us all the story of her Halloween, then sinks her chops into Thanksgiving. She's been a long-time reader of mine, and I sure do appreciate the loyalty. I know it can become trying at times...

Some folks haven't written a TCF post, per se, but they have put up the artwork on their sidebars, added a link, or otherwise have become involved. New Country Girl, for instance, has spoken in general about Christmas stuff being out too early, and our turkey is prominently displayed. There are some interesting entries on Facebook concerning us. Janine, who until recently wrote well at Sniffles & Smiles - she's taking some time off to catch up on other matters - added a link and some kind words. There are some actual pages devoted to our cause - Thanksgiving Comes First and Thanksgiving Comes First (Before Christmas). It wouldn't hurt to join them.

Lori, at My Life Interrupted, wrote about how the rush to buy, buy, buy marginalizes those without the resources to do so. She adds other compelling thoughts, and I enjoyed every word of it.

Unexpected Surprises - those are the best kind of surprises! - is written by Brittany Johnson. She admits she became caught up in the Christmas creep, but then had more sane thoughts. Good for her!

SAHM (which is an acronym for Stay At Home Mother) is the author of Larsen Loves. She writes of a desire for warm family times, as you might expect a mom to do (and I'm all for that, as you might imagine.) She also has a crafting blog and, if you go there, you'll get a yummy recipe for dessert (another thing I'm in favor of.)

Another stay-at-home mom is Kat. As Cindy did in her entry linked above, Kat's post mentions Target as an offender (I think it's pretty clear they don't care what holiday they trample upon in the rush for profit) and her kid's reactions to Santa and such showing up in October.

I mentioned Barbara Shallue yesterday, but she's worth mentioning again. Her post is entitled Thanksgiving Comes First (p.s. peace) and I enjoyed it immensely.

Renaissance Mama mentions another retailer giving Thanksgiving the virtual finger (IKEA) and shares her struggle of trying to NOT give in to her impulses.

As I wrote this, I received e-mail from a few others, telling me that they had written posts of their own. I've not yet had a chance to read these that follow, but I'll do so as soon as I post this. I trust I'll enjoy them, and that you will, also.

Phyllis, at All Things Beautiful.

Bonnie-Rocks, at Bonnie's Journal.

Maren at Live Journal.

(I truly dislike just linking these folks, without effusive praise for their efforts, but I haven't had a chance to read those entries yet. I hope they understand...)



And now, under the category of saving the best for last...

All of the above are worth reading. I mean that. And I'm grateful for anything that anyone has done to promote this cause. Having said that, and with no disrespect intended toward the writing of anyone else, I have saved a very special post for last. This post touched me so deeply, and encapsulated so completely my own treasured memories and feelings concerning Thanksgiving, that I truthfully have to say it is my favorite writing upon the subject, ever.

Cricket, of Cricket & Porcupine, has written an essay on Thanksgiving that I consider a masterpiece. It may not only be the best I've ever read concerning the holiday, but perhaps the best piece of writing I've encountered on the internet during the 5+ years since I began blogging. I would prefer that you read every post linked within this page, as they are all wonderful. But, if you only have time for one, make it THIS ONE. Hell, even if you don't have any time, make some. This is worth every second, every minute, you put aside to read it.

(I would especially commend this post to those of you from lands where the Thanksgiving holiday isn't part of your calendar. It paints a picture of the traditions, and strong family love shared, more fully than anything else I've read.)

And that will do it for now. Please keep writing, and urging your readers to write. And please tell me if I've missed your writing or anybody else's. I truly want to give credit and a link to anyone who has it in their heart to keep Thanksgiving in top priority during its rightful time of year.

(And, if you'd like more reading, here's a collection of links to TCF posts from earlier in the week!)

Soon, with more better stuff.


24 comments:

Hilary said...

I'm glad you're getting so much support for your TCF campaign, Jim. There's some fine writing out there.

And I have to agree with you 100% about Cricket's piece. It's one of the most beautiful blog posts I've ever read. He's a brilliant writer with a beautiful flair for making the reader feel they're a part of his memories. Thanks for introducing him so long ago. I've been a huge fan of his ever since.

Phyllis said...

Thank YOU for starting this movement.

Daryl said...

Phyllis is right .. THANK YOU!

Cricket said...

Aw, shucks, Jim. I'm truly pleased that you like that piece so much, since I wrote it for you.

Keep the faith, my swell pal. TCF!

Anonymous said...

Off to read the cricket!

You're doing a great thing with this movement!

Anonymous said...

it's gaining more and more momentum with each passing day. kudos to you, Jim for pushing the ball!

Eternal Lizdom said...

Thank you for this!! This has always been one of my pet peeves- mostly because Thanksgiving is a favorite holiday of mine. I love the entire holiday season but I also love celebrating each holiday as it comes. Can you imagine how folks would feel if we all just started writing things with "2011" on them now since it's almost the new year anyway? Ha!

I'm going to have to write up my own entry for this!

Buck said...

Cricket, of Cricket & Porcupine, has written an essay on Thanksgiving that I consider a masterpiece.

That it was. As I told Cricket: he gave me the Thanksgiving I never had. I thanked him for that.

Anonymous said...

I'm grateful to Jillsy for introducing me to your site, which I love. I'm grateful to you for starting this ball rolling, but now I'm also grateful to you for introducing me to Cricket's site and his beautiful essay. Truly a masterpiece!

CiCi said...

I read Cricket's post and it moved me deeply, I could barely type a comment. To be in a family like that would be heaven.

Lori said...

I did go visit each of these blogs and read what they had to say. Bravo! I enjoyed reading them and your are right that post by Cricket is amazing and written very well. I am very thankful to have found out about your project because not only have I met some wonderful bloggers but it reminds me that there are a lot of great people in this world.

Happy weekend!

Feisty Crone said...

I stopped by Target tonight to buy some dish detergent and diet ginger ale. All of the Christmas decorations are out! UGH! I haven't even bought my Thanksgiving turkey yet.

Anonymous said...

Yay for more TCF posts! :)

Cricket's post should be required reading for ALL retail managers everywhere!

In all seriousness, it is so evocative of what Thanksgiving was, is and should always be.

Thanks, Jim, for pointing it out!

Sandi McBride said...

I hate to rat them out, Lowe's being one of my favorite stores, but they were putting Christmas Trees butted right up against Halloween scarecrows and had the audacity to put "Xmas Trees", and I pointed out to the store manager that He still spelled His name Christ! Made me mad enough to spit! Now, I'm off to read and you've set me a task, it may consume my morning but it's cold outside, so who cares?

Sandi

ellen abbott said...

I too, had a small entry on my blog about too early christmas stuff. (http://ellenshead.blogspot.com/2010/11/short-stories-6.html) see the last paragraph. and just this past week I passed a shopping center that already had all their christmas decorations up.

I think it's great that so many of us are against this but I don't see the store policies changing.

Maggie May said...

It is surprising just how much this is escalating. You are doing a good job getting so many people enthused.
Keep up the good work.
Maggie X

Nuts in May

rayfamily said...

What a wonderful movement and inspirational posts. I also am joining in. Thank you!

http://rayfamilyfarm.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-2009-this-morning-i-spent.html

Michelle H. said...

Ah, your cause spreads. And a wonderful one it is too!

Fragrant Liar said...

Wow. I'm impressed. This is a really great campaign. I am a believer: Thanksgiving comes first!

I'll check out your recommended reading list. Thanks!

Pam said...

Great post and you're doing a great job! Thanks for the heads up on the blogs!

Kat said...

Thank you for recommending Cricket's post! It was beautiful and reminded me of my own Thanksgivings as a child. It was beautiful. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for linking all of the other posts! They were all great, and Crickets was incredibly heart warming. :)

Inspired by yet more of the Attack of the Commercial Holiday Spirit, I'm going to try and write one post a day between now and Thanksgiving about something I am thankful for and/or why Thanksgiving is awesome and doesn't deserve to get overshadowed. Most recent post is here:
http://rensong.livejournal.com/1265268.html

Very few people actually read my journal, so I doubt it'll do much good, but I figure every little bit helps. :)

Also, I went to Starbucks today and was pleased to see they *hadn't* hopped on the Lets Commercalize Christmas bandwagon yet, either. Not sure if it will last, but right now their cups have simple, non-holiday snowflakes on them, and I saw two big, unopened boxes of what I assume are their holiday decorations sitting next to the pick-up counter with a sign on them stating "Do not open until the holidays!" That kind of brightened my day. :)

Eternal Lizdom said...

My addition to the Cause:

http://eternallizdom.blogspot.com/2010/11/thanksgiving-comes-first.html

Anonymous said...

Hello : )

You shop on the web or in-store? which usually would you like? just wondering lol.. i favor in-store just because i don't really like expecting it to come!

Pleased
Olivia