Thursday, September 06, 2007

Ladies Shoes



So far, I’ve given you some fairly decent stories about my times as a PAPERBOY, a BLACKJACK DEALER, and as a BARKER ON A WALKING CHARLIE. I’ve still got some good stories to tell you about being a musician, a security guard, a dishwasher, a cab driver, and a – horrors! - drug dealer. I’ll be reprinting some wonderful stories concerning my stints as a gas station attendant and as a garage cleaner – if you haven’t read them already, you’ll enjoy them, and if you have read them already, I’ll ask you to pretend that you’re enjoying them again. Today, however, I’m going to regale you with stories concerning my history as an employee of a shoe store.

Believe me when I tell you, there is almost nothing interesting about working in a shoe store. Feel free to skip down to the end and leave some sort of generic comment that lets me know you care about me even if you didn’t read the whole thing. I’ll appreciate the sentiment and you won’t have missed much.

I began my first “real” job (the first one wherein the government took taxes out of my paycheck, while promising to give part of them back to me if and when I retire) just prior to my senior year in high school. I was 16, it was August of 1973, and for some reason or another I decided that loafing around was NOT preferable to working. If I knew then what I know now, I would have kept loafing. My entire life since that time has been spent in a fruitless effort to recapture the indolence of my youth.

You know what? I can’t even remember how I came to be employed in the shoe store. That’s how boring a story it is. I don’t know if I answered a want ad, or someone told me about the job, or even if I might have been shanghaied by footwear pirates. All I know is that I ended up in the stockroom of Wilbar’s Shoes on Tremont Street in Boston, receiving the princely sum of… Well, I’ll be damned if I can figure out, from looking at this pay stub, how much I was making an hour. Let’s call it $2.38.


For that money, I pretty much hung out in the stockroom drinking iced coffee, smoking Kools, eating donuts and cinnamon rolls, and listening to Brother Louie by The Stories on the radio, which seemed to be in rotation on WRKO once every fifteen minutes. Occasionally, a shipment of shoes would arrive and I’d unpack them and place them on the shelves. Once a month, I took a sloppy inventory. If the store was very busy – which it rarely was – one of the sales clerks might ask me to check stock for something a customer was requesting.

I worked – if you can call it that - on Tuesday and Thursday after school, and on Saturday mornings. I held this job for about eight months.

It was a decent enough way to earn a few bucks, I suppose, but I had my heart set on becoming a musician. I had joined a band around the same time I started the job at the shoe store. I also still worked the odd night as a blackjack dealer and got as much for four hours of doing that as I made for the three days combined at Wilbar’s, so that didn’t contribute to making me grateful for the opportunity to stack shoes.

After about six months of putzing around in the stockroom, I was given a part-time “promotion” to the sales floor. Despite my experiences dealing cards and barking, I was still pretty shy. I much preferred staying in the stockroom ALL of the time and reading The Real Paper. I truly didn’t relish the idea of feeling up a bunch of strange women’s feet while fitting them for shoes. In addition, I would have to wear a tie and not smoke. There was no raise in pay, although there was a vague promise of some commission. That wouldn’t kick in until after I had made something like $500 worth of sales in a week and I had my doubts about selling ANYTHING, let alone that lofty amount of pedal pushers and pumps in two nights and one Saturday morning per week.

The picture below – God help us all – was taken for my senior yearbook at Boston Tech, but it’s a fine representation of what I looked like while on the sales floor. That vacant expression was pretty much my regular look.


(And, yes, I liked that shirt. It was my favorite. I wish I still had it, no matter what cruel jokes you’re at this very moment formulating concerning it.)

My supervisor was a nice fellow by the name of Rick. He was probably 24 or 25 years old, although he seemed much older to me at the time. Rick would see me standing off to the side, waiting for someone to approach me and ask for help. He’d sidle up to me and say, “Jim, you're supposed to offer the customers some help, not stand there waiting for them to talk to you. Walk around the floor a bit instead of standing there like you’ve got a Popsicle stick up your ass.” He said it with a smile.

I don’t think I made more than five or six sales in the month or so I was on the floor. They never had to worry about figuring my commission.

*************************************************************

In recognition of his having done such a stunning job of making a salesman out of me, Rick was promoted to the main office, situated on the floor above the store itself. A man named Jonathan replaced him as sales supervisor. He was not promoted from our sales force, but was hired from the outside. As a result, there was a bit of resentment among the sales force towards him. He put me back in the stockroom full-time. The sales folk thought I should be pissed about this, so they commiserated with me about it and I played along with them, but I was secretly relieved - at least until I found out what Jonathan had planned for the stockroom.

He intended to reorganize the whole shebang and he hired another person to work with me while doing so. His name was Seth and he was a couple of years older than I was. Thus, by dint of my shyness and youth, I was not only demoted back to the stockroom, but I was also now more-or-less under Seth, too. And doing a job I found absolutely no need for doing.

I had been working the stockroom for about seven months. I knew where everything was. I had my systems for getting the work done quickly. And now Jonathan wanted to tear it all down and rebuild it from scratch under an entirely new system.

I tried. I really did. I worked with Seth for about a week, taking every damned box off of the shelves, moving the shelves, and then putting the boxes back onto different shelves than they were originally on and in different aisles. I sweated and Seth sweated, but Seth seemed to enjoy sweating a bit more than I did.

Finally, I just got fed up with the whole thing. I went up to the office and complained to Rick.

“Rick, this guy is tearing down everything for no good reason. I just can’t take it anymore. It’s pointless work.”

Rick asked me if I had tried discussing this with Jonathan.

I said, “Sure, but he can’t give me a good reason for doing it. He actually said he didn’t need to give me a good reason. I could give him a few good reasons for not doing it.”

Rick said, “Well, he’s the boss now, Jim. There’s nothing I can do about it. About the only choice you have is to do the job or quit.”

I said, “In that case, I quit.”

And that was that. I thanked Rick for his time, walked downstairs, and told Jonathan I was leaving.

I probably wouldn’t have lasted much longer, anyway, even if things had stayed as I liked them. My first band – World’s End – was just about to play its first gig. I thought it was only a matter of time before I would be touring and have a recording contract and be making humongous amounts of money.

Next time: No touring, no recording contract, and no humongous amounts of money.

14 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Good stuff and loved the photo!

I was waiting for some "leg and foot" stories, but apparently you didn't stay long enough for them to materialize!

eeka said...

Now that is a handsome photo.

What are those blobs on the shirt? Pansies? Teddy bears? Pomeranians?

Suldog said...

Eeka - They are yellow roses, which have always been my favorite.

Deborah Gamble said...

Suldog,

That shirt is beyond words. I'm speechless.

Suldog said...

Deborah - Thank you. I'm glad you like it as much as I did ;-)

Suldog said...

Mushy - No, no good stories. All I can recall is that I was sorely disappointed that almost every lady I fitted was wearing pantyhose. I'll leave it your imagination HOW I knew.

david mcmahon said...

Indolence in your youth - yep, that's another thing we have in common.

Nice picture, too, Jim

Ok, so I had some inSolence in my youth as well ....

barbarella said...

Question: What is a walking charlie? The link is broken.

second question: Why does there appear to be an airstrike over Cushing Square tonite? As i type this it sounds like someone declared war. Sept. 6 fireworks? Why?

Love the blog, btw.

Unknown said...

Jim - It's probably good you got out of shoes at an early age.

The real paper link wasn't working. I think this is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Real_Paper

Suldog said...

My apologies for the broken links! I've fixed them.

Michal said...

thanks to david mcmahon for sending me over to check out your blog. loved the post. will visit again.

bcmomtoo said...

Clicked over here from authorblog. I really enjoyed your post, so I'm going to stay around and read some more.

This reminds me of my 16-year-old daughter's job. She mostly does nothing and gets paid for it - and she wants another job - so she can make more money. I keep telling her she'll probably actually have to work if she does that. Sometimes kids just don't know how good they've got it.

Chuck said...

I remember I summarily quit a few jobs that didn't agree with me. I kind of miss not having to worry about where the rent money would be coming from if I quit, since I was still working with my parents when I did so...ah, youth.

Anonymous said...

Thanks to today’s hi-tech world, now you can order bespoke suits and shirts online too. Surprised! Well check out our measuring guide and the order online section and you will know how easy it is. But of course if you prefer the traditional way then one of our representatives who are scattered around the world could visit you & take your measurements.

We are based in Hong Kong and has been providing custom made suits & shirts since 1997. All our suits and shirts are sewn with extreme attention to detail and finish, often using time-consuming, hand-executed techniques by highly skilled Shanghainese tailors in Hong Kong and delivered in about 4 weeks, express delivery can be made in 2 weeks at a minor extra cost. In case you are not able to find what you are looking for then please let us know your requirement may it be in words or by a photograph and we could arrange it for you.

We also have an outlet at the Hotel Intercontinental Budapest where you are most welcome to visit us. Though we are not located in streets like Savile Row (London), we have still been able to offer made to measure suits to many VIP’s from around the world.

Our collection includes fabrics made in Italy and some also from England by some of the world's best brands such as Dormeuil, Loro Piana, Charles Clayton, Valentino, Holland & Sherry, Scabal, Zegna, Georgio Vallino, Bower Roebuck, Carlo Castello, Marcopolo, Minova, Royal Oaks, Vitale Barberis Canonico, Toni Tommi, Getzner, Tiesta, Fintes, Reda. Some of them are almost wrinkle free and suitable for travel wear. Thread counts varies from Super 100’s going upto super 180’s for suits and upto super 200’s for shirts. The most expensive high quality fabric we have is from Charles Clayton.

Merino Wool, Cotton, linen, pure cashmere (pashmina), kid mohair, silk, australian wool, fine lambs wool, we have it all weather you need it for formal or casual wear.

We could also offer Vicuña Wool, or Alpaca Wool if you are willing to spare a bit more cash.



Designer prét á porter (off the peg)suits are made to fit a standard form and no two people are built exactly alike, only 1 man in a hundred is likely to step into a ready ready to wear suit and find that it needs no alterations. But unfortunately very few people realise this.



Wedding tuxedos or suits can also be specially designed to meet your requirements.



Not all our clients are fat, tall or short, many are those who do not want to follow the dictates of fashion and are fed up of the current state of sartorial confusion and know what they should wear to best personal advantage.



Morning coats (cutaway), tail coats would cost 600/- euros onwards. Its better to have one of your own than to hire it again and again. Rentals are not cheap these days!

Smoking/Tuxedos start from 400/- Euros

Though I never went to any school to learn about Haute Couture, my experience has taught me a lot about it and enabled me to complete with many fashion houses.



Tailoring is a very interesting business, the best part of it is if you are able to satisfy a client then he is your client for many years to come . Unlike selling designer suits which one could buy in a lot of stores.



We keep paper cutting for all our clients so sewing a suit for them in the future is much easier and turns out to be exactly the same.



Nowadays people prefer the more slim tapered Itailan cut for the jackets but off course you need the physique for that too. . Altough you see a lot of the standard European cut, thanks to the ever expanding junk food chains.

Special discounts are available for corporate apparel orders.



Dress shirts for men and tailored blouses or shirts for women are basic items in most wardrobes. Even with casual lifestyles, most men need a dress shirt for special occasions. Women may wear tailored shirts or blouses to work or for casual wear. Besides, a crisp tailored shirt unbuttoned at the neck with sleeves rolled up looks great with a pair of blue jeans for informal events. Although a tailored shirt seems very basic, a variety of styles, fabrics and choices exists.

Experience an easier way of shopping for bespoke suits & shirts at Euro Tailors

Kenny Surtani