Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Weight Loss Wednesday



I've decided, at possible great embarrassment to my ego, to share with you my journey towards physical fitness. Here's a picture of me on Ash Wednesday when I started my diet:


And here's a picture of me now:



Amazing, huh? I didn't expect to grow back my hair, but I guess when you live right there are added benefits you don't count on.

*******************************************************

OK, so here's the real deal.

When I started my so-I-don't-kill-myself-the-first-time-I-run-the-bases-this-year diet, I weighed in at 195. I stand about 5'10" (it used to be 5'11", but the world has worn me down for 49 years) and I carry a fair amount of muscle, so 180 would be a good playing weight. As of this morning, I am at 188.

I've accomplished this weight loss by simply not drinking milk with my meals and not eating any bread at all. Basically, I've substituted water for milk and a bit more fruit or vegetable for bread.

Tell you the truth, I can't see any great difference when I look in the mirror. I've hardly done any exercise, though, and that has to be the second component of this regimen. I'll start doing a daily walk of a couple of miles this weekend and add in some light weight training as time allows. I keep weights in my office, so I can do sets of ten curls or presses intermittently.

(No cracks. I chose my words carefully. I did not say that there was a dumbbell in my office.)

I'll update you each Wednesday until just after Easter, when I expect to have reached my goals.

I'll be back Thursday (or maybe Friday) with a good story. Thanks for hanging in there while I'm forced to devote my time to paying work :-)

1 comment:

Stu said...

SulDog, bravo. As someone who would eat himself to death if given the chance (are you gonna finish those fries?), I appreciate how hard it is to put down the fork and pick up your feet. For me, daily 30-minute (or more) walks, water only, no eating after 6pm seems to do the trick. Also, 4-6 small meals beats 2-3 large ones. Also, Naked makes a great protein drink, Chocolate Karma. Also, Clif Bar makes a great breakfast bar, Oatmeal Raisin Walnut. Also, I am just a guy standin' here, so feel free to ignore me and talk to someone with an advanced degree in whatever.