Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Coincidence ? Higher Power? You Decide!


One of the very interesting things about the relationship between MY WIFE and me is that both of our fathers were born on the same day in the same year. They were also raised relatively close to each other - blocks apart, basically - in the Forest Hills section of Boston. That MY WIFE and I didn't meet until some 32+ years later, and then via an introduction by my mother, makes it all the more interesting.

I mention that fact because today is the birthday for both of our late fathers; also because I have a piece in today's Boston Herald that I want you to go and take a look at. You could do so by clicking here.


MY WIFE's father

My Father


She & Me



But, first, I didn't really explain how this ties together. Sorry. You see, the piece that's in the paper today stars my late dad. It was originally slated to appear on Friday of this week, but my editor decided to move it up to today. September 30th. My father's birthday.

My editor had no idea it was my father's birthday. I did not suggest that it run today; I was happy as a clam to just have the piece run, period, any time she chose. But, she moved it and...

Well, I'm a Christian, so I do believe in a higher power. I believe all things do tie together in some way, although I suspect none of us really will understand the nature and scope of those ties until we move on from this life. But, things like these are just irresistible for the mind to chew on, no?

Soon, with more better stuff.

13 comments:

(not necessarily your) Uncle Skip said...

I left my comment on your f/b post.
Well... it's really a picture of a sign I've had for about ten or eleven years.

Good article, too.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely. I love it!

messymimi said...

A wonderful article, and a precious gift to you on this special day!

Should Fish More said...

Nice post about your dad, he sounds like a good guy.

And a nice piece of writing on your article.

Jackie said...

Beautifully written article in the Boston Herald. Thank you for sharing it with us, Jim.
Love to you and your wife,
J.

sandyland said...

I'm betting on the higher power Here's a question for you with all the atheisitic jabber and bravado from the young generation ..wonder where Christianty will be in say 50 years??

Suldog said...

Sandyland - If anyone wants to bet, I'll wager the world isn't here in 50 years. Of course, with my age and general habits, I'll never have to pay off because even if it does last 50 years I won't be here.

Daryl said...

all i can say is how very wonderful

Craig said...

Sweet. . .

And of course, if one takes a 'high view' of God's sovereignty, there are no 'mere coincidences'. . .

Which, of course, gets into all manner of conundrums relating to God's sovereignty and human free will, and stuff like that; but that's not really your point here, is it?

;)

Maggie May said...

Wow....... lots of co incidences there for it to be coincidental.
Very strange how both the fathers were born on the same day of the same year. No trouble in deciding which was YOUR father. You are the spitting image! Now where does that saying come from and what is it to do with spitting?
You make a handsome pair!

Maggie x

Nuts in May

Jenny Woolf said...

Nice piece. And strange how sometimes things just seem to slot together.

Hilary said...

Very cool how everything ties in together so nicely. I tend to not believe in coincidence. I do believe that everything is connected though. I love how this worked out.

Wendy said...

No such thing as coincidence IMHO.
It was meant to be printed on his birthday! And all the other "connected" stuff too.

Lovely piece of writing.